About Nueces Electric Charities, Inc.
Ever heard that a penny goes a long way? In this case, hundreds of thousands of pennies donated each year by Nueces Electric Cooperatives members go a very long way to help Coastal Bend organizations.
Through Operation Round-up, Nueces Electric Cooperative members volunteer to "round up" their electric bills to the next dollar. All of the additional change goes to a non-profit fund developed by NEC called Nueces Electric Charities, Inc. The money adds up each year and Nueces Electric Charities (on behalf of all of the participating NEC members) gives a check to various worthy community projects like the HALO-Flight air ambulance service. The monthly donation by a member, per account, never exceeds 99 cents per month, can be as low as a penny, and averages just $6 per year.
Because of the generous donations of our members, Nueces Electric Charities is able to grant awards each year to worthy charitable organizations in our member communities. Nueces Electric Charities is a financial supporter whose giving is meant to help non-profit organizations address and positively impact community life for Nueces Electric Cooperative members.
Nueces Electric Charities has supported a variety of organizations including Timmons Ministries, Alice Counseling Center, Communities in Schools, Mission of Mercy, Ronald McDonald House, Brush Country USA, Refuge of Hope, Corpus Christi Metro Ministries, Corpus Christi Symphony Orchestra, Corpus Christi SafePlace House, Rise School of Corpus Christi, the South Texas Council, Boy Scouts of America, and Halo-Flight.
The role of the Nueces Electric Charities, Inc. regarding the Nueces Electric Cooperative (NEC) Operation Round Up Fund is to make the best use of the funds entrusted to us to support activities within the NEC service territory and nearby communities, and to be sure that whatever gifts we make are handled wisely.
As stated in Article 4 of its Articles of Incorporation, “Nueces Electric Charities, Inc. was organized to distribute funds, voluntarily contributed to Nueces Electric Cooperative, Inc. from its members under Operation Round Up, to other 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations that provide direct educational, health, welfare, and other human services within the service area of Nueces Electric Cooperative, Inc.”
Because we wish to help as many organizations as possible, we encourage you to seek funding from more than just the NEC Operation Round Up Fund. We will not penalize you for doing that; in fact, when we see that you have been resourceful – that is, your organization is willing to put some of its own money into a program/project, and has received or is working on receiving support from other organizations as well – that lends strength to your proposal. Applications for a particular new or one-time program or project must be submitted and approved BEFORE the programs/projects have begun.
If your organization has funds to complete this program/project without our assistance, we assume you will fund it yourselves. Because it helps us to understand the priorities and financial health of an organization, we ask you to provide the requested financial information. Once we have received a request, it will be screened for eligibility and evaluated against other applications received, in terms of available Operation Round Up funds.
The Nueces Charities Board of Directors is free to support, question or deny any request. Once the board has approved a request for funds, payment will be issued to the organization within 30 days. If your organization is not selected, you may re-apply no sooner than one year to be reconsidered for the same program/project.
Directions for applying for a grant application:
1. Download Grant Application packet here
2. Complete application via Microsoft Word or handwritten
3. If handwritten, scan your application onto your computer to be submitted online
4. If completed in Microsoft Word, save the completed application and merge with all other legal documents
5. You must have all documents merged in Adobe Acrobat to become one document to be submitted
6. When you are ready to submit, visit our Grant Application Online Submission page
Nueces Electric Charities, Inc.
Deadline for Application to Be Received
4th Tuesday of February
4thTuesday of August
* Date may be subject to change; generally coincides with regular meeting of Nueces Electric Cooperative Board of Directors
If an emergency need exists that is considered critical to health, safety or human welfare. Nueces Electric Charities may consider an application request outside of this schedule.
PRIMARY/PRIORITY AREAS OF CONSIDERATION
Grant projects/programs that address these areas of need will receive priority consideration:
- Human Services
1. The following documentation MUST be file merged with the Grant Application document:
- A one-page budget for the amount requested, with justifications
- Proof confirming 501(c)(3) status with the IRS
- A copy of the most recent balance sheet and income statement
- Current organizational budget (if not available please explain)
2. Go to the Grant Application page.
3. Download the Grant Application
4. Complete application via Microsoft Word or handwritten
5. If handwritten, scan your application onto your computer to be submitted online
6. If completed in Microsoft Word, save the completed application and merge with all other legal documents (listed above)
7. You must have all documents merged in Adobe Acrobat to become one document to be submitted
8. Go to the Grant Application Online Submission page.
9. Upload the completed grant application to the file upload button.
- No paper application will be accepted by mail
- All applicants must apply via the online application in order to be considered for grant approval
10. All important legal documents MUST be included in the application.
11. Applications received after a deadline will automatically be considered the following quarter unless revoked by applicant.
Questions regarding the application or process can be directed to:
Sarah Fisher, Chief Compliance Officer
Nueces Electric Cooperative, Inc.
Toll-free: 800-632-9288 (x224)