Ideally, this opportunity is for 4th grade students. For information, please contact Alexa Patek at Apatek@nueceselectric.org or 361-767-7321
Thank you for contacting Nueces Electric Cooperative about a field trip! As a community partner, we want to help you educate your student about electricity, resources, and how electricity is made.
NEC will host one field trip on any given day between the hours of 9:30 a.m.- 2:00 p.m. A typical field trip consists of:
- Classroom education and videos on energy, generation renewable energy and Co-op's
- Demonstrations: Lineman, Electrical Safety, Energy Efficiency, Renewable Energy
- Pizza lunch
General Agenda: Note: this can be shortened as needed to accommodate timeframes
- 9:30 a.m. Welcome and Classroom: What is energy, types of resources and how it gets to your home
- 10:20 a.m. Electrical Safety Demonstration
- 11:00 a.m. Renewable Demonstration and Co-op Tour
- 11:45 a.m. Lunch
- 12:30 a.m. Lineman Demonstration
- 1:30 p.m. Final fun quiz and prize
- 2:00 p.m. Thank you for coming
Nueces Electric Field Trips can cover several areas of TEKS.
- Students will be able to identify sources of renewable energy.
- Students will be able to identify sources of non-renewable energy.
- Students will understand how the different sources create energy.
- Students will understand how electricity is generated and gets to their home.
- Students will learn about Co-op's, how they work, and their universally shared principles.
- Students will tour the facility to understand how an electric co-op operates.
- Students will meet a Lineman who will demonstrate lineman skills and the safety materials they utilize.
- Students will understand how they can be safe around electricity.
- Students will understand how they can conserve energy.
Select modules to fit your time frame... or select them all!
(include a 1-hour lunch in your time plan)
Energy Classroom: (45 mins) This module will teach students what energy is, the types of resources, how electricity is generated and how it gets to their home.
Co-op Tour and Lineman Demonstration: (1 hour) Your students will be taken on a guided tour of the electrical Co-op to help them understand how an electric company operates. Students will meet a lineman who will show them the gear they use in the field as well as demonstrate how lineman physically climb power poles. Students will be shown a bucket truck and the bucket truck will be raised to take a picture of the student group below, which will be given to the teacher to take back to the school to commemorate the SEE Trip.
Safety & Efficiency Classroom: (45 mins ) Students will experience an interactive safety demonstration and participate in an interactive safety challenge. Additionally, Students will become energy detectives while learning how they can conserve electricity.
Renewable Energy Demonstration: ( 20 mins) Students will view and learn about the Co-op's renewable energy project and the five main types of renewable energy (what they are and how they work).