NEC Requests Energy Conservation for System Reliability
Due to record-breaking electric demand due to the extremely cold temperatures, Nueces Electric Cooperative (NEC) is asking members to limit and reduce their electric use as much as possible today, Friday, December 23, 2022, from 8:00pm to 3:00am.
To help conserve energy in these harsh winter conditions, NEC recommends that members utilize the following energy-saving tips:
• Set your thermostat as low as you can comfortably do so (ideally at 68 degrees or under).
• Avoid using major appliances if possible (save the dishes and laundry for other times).
• Avoid cooking on the stove or oven (opt for the microwave or toaster oven instead).
• Bundle up and layer clothing and blankets for additional warmth.
• Turn off unused lights and unplug any unused small appliances and electronic devices.
NEC is asking members to do their part and help in reducing their energy usage today and over the next few days to prevent outages in our area. NEC also recommends that members keep their cellphone, laptop and other devices fully charged during extreme weather events and be prepared with safety kits that include spare flashlights, batteries, candles, and a battery-powered cellphone charging device.
NEC encourages all members to follow local news sources, the Nueces Electric Facebook page, as well as nueceselectric.org for news regarding the upcoming winter storm’s impact to the coastal bend and surrounding areas.
For additional resources please visit the Winter Storm Preparedness tab on the NEC Storm Center page.