Youth Leadership Tour 2021
2021 Youth Leadership Tour CANCELLED, Essay Contest Continues
Each year, NEC sends exceptional students to The Government-in-Action Youth Leadership Tour. The program offers high school students an all-expense-paid trip to learn about various aspects of the government, meet their regional members of Congress and visit historical sites. Due to the ongoing and unpredictable nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2021 Government-in-Action Youth Tour has been cancelled. As unfortunate as this is, we still want to see the essays written by those that wanted to go. In lieu of the trip, NEC has decided to award two winners a $4,000 scholarship!
The topic for this year’s essay is:
In the past year, the COVID-19 pandemic has forced many Texans to spend more time at home than ever before. What can you do to save energy while spending more time at home?
1. Applicant must be a high school student in junior year of high school and must not have already participated in Youth Tour through any Texas Cooperative.
2. Applicant must have consent of and reside in the home with a parent or legal guardian who is a current member of Nueces Electric Cooperative.
3. Applicant must return the completed application and essay along with a recent head and shoulder digital photo to Alexa Patek by Friday, January 15, 2021. Applications can be submitted online or via mail, email (Communications@nueceselectric.org), or fax (361.933.1178).
4. Essay must be 400-600 words in length, typed and double-spaced on the topic of: “In the past year, the COVID-19 pandemic has forced many Texans to spend more time at home than ever before. What can you do to save energy while spending more time at home?” All essays become NEC property.
5. Applications will be scored on accuracy of information, grammar, originality and content. Applicants must be able to interview in-person or via skype on Monday, January 25, 2021, if they are selected as Finalists.
6. From the group of Finalists, the Winners will be selected based on the score from their essay and their interview with a panel of judges where they will be scored based on simple knowledge of the Cooperative, knowledge of government, poise, and communication skills. (Possible interview questions will be provided to Finalists ahead of time.)
7. Each Winner must also be able to attend the June 2021 Board of Directors Meeting as well as the October 2021 Annual Meeting (if held in person) to speak on behalf of Youth Tour to encourage others to apply.
8. A First Runner-Up will be named to take the place of the Winner should they be unable to meet these requirements or is found to be a poor representative of the Cooperative.
How do you apply? Follow these simple steps:
- Download your application here
- Print out the paper application and complete
- Scan in the application to your computer
- Write a 400 - 600 word essay to be included in your online application
- Select a Head Shot that you would like to submit in your online application
- Submit the application document to Alexa Patek Communications@nueceselectric.org or at the Youth Tour Leadership Program Application page