Youth Leadership Tour 2019
NEC Youth Tour Leadership Program
Each year, NEC sends exceptional students to The Government-in-Action Youth Leadership Tour. The program offers high school students an all-expense-paid trip to learn about various aspects of the government, meet their regional members of Congress and visit historical sites. Each winning applicant will receive the travel package, valued at $3,000 and will join more than 100 other high school students for a tour of the Texas State Capital, Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum, the U.S. House and Senate Chambers, the Supreme Court, Washington National Cathedral, Arlington National Cemetery, Smithsonian Institution and many other national sites. PLUS: Each winner will also receive a $1,000 scholarship, should they attend an accredited Texas college or University.
- Applicant must be a high school student that has just completed their junior year of high school by June 2020.
- Applicant must have consent of and reside in the home with a parent or legal guardian who is a current member of Nueces Electric Cooperative.
- Applicant must submit a completed application and essay along with a recent head and shoulder digital photo via the online application, by Tuesday, January 14, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
- Essays must be 400-600 words in length, typed and double-spaced on the topic of: " Summer is one of the hottest times of the year, it also a time when we use the most energy. What are some ways you can conserve energy at home this summer?" All essays become NEC property.
- Applications will be scored on accuracy of information, grammar, originality and content. Finalists will be interviewed in order to determine the winners.
- The winners will be selected based on their interview with a panel of judges where they will be scored based on knowledge of the cooperative, knowledge of government, poise, and communication skills. (Possible interview questions will be provided to Finalists ahead of time).
- Each winner must be able to participate in all aspects of the Youth Leadership Tour from June 17 - June 26, must be able to fly in an airplane and ride in a car or bus for up to 12 hours a day (with breaks).
- Each winner must also be able to attend the June 2020 Board of Directors Meeting as well as the October 2020 Annual Meeting to speak on behalf of Youth Tour to encourage others to apply.
- The winner's guardian must sign a waiver of release for the winner to participate on the Youth Tour.
- A first runner-up will be named to take the place of the winner should they be unable to meet these requirements or is found to be a poor representative of the cooperative.
How do you apply? Follow these simple steps:
- Download your application here
- Print out the paper application and complete
- Scan in the application to your computer
- Submit the application document to Kirklan Hinojosa Communications@nueceselectric.org or at the Youth Tour Leadership Program Application page
- Write a 400 - 600 word essay to be included in your online application
- Select a Head Shot that you would like to submit in your online application
Trip Dates: June 17 - 26, 2020.
Essay Topic: Summer is one of the hottest times of the year, it is also a time when we use the most energy. What are some ways you can conserve energy at home during the summer?
Visit www.youthtour.coop for more information on the Government-In-Action Youth Tour program!
Below is a video from the 2017 Youth Tour which took place June 7th - June 16th:
Co-op Research Information:
What is a Co-op? (PowerPoint presentation from the US Dept. of Agriculture)
- Co-op Information
- Utility Overview
- Sales Growth
- Residential Customers in Texas
- Co-op Facts
- Consumer Growth
- Consumers Per Mile of Line in Texas
- Residential Electricity Use