2020 Ramiro De La Paz Memorial Scholarship Fund
Each year, NEC awards scholarships to graduating high school seniors who are dependents of NEC members and meet the eligibility requirements set forth on the application form. Funding for this scholarship program comes from unclaimed NEC capital credits. Unclaimed capital credits for NEC members are sent to the Texas comptroller. NEC applies annually to the comptroller to receive a portion of the funds back to support this scholarship program for students who plan to pursue studies at a Texas institution of higher learning approved by the Office of the Texas Comptroller.
The scholarships to be awarded during this school year are:
Two (2) - $4,000 scholarships. One (1) $4,000 scholarship, $500 per semester during the years attending a qualifying 4-year university. One (1) John L. Sims $4,000 scholarships, $500 per semester during the years attending a qualifying 4-year university.
Ten (10) – $1,000 scholarships. $500 per semester during the first (1) year of qualifying a qualifying 4-year university
Two (2) - $2,000 scholarships distributed over the length of the 2-year or vocational college in Texas, $500 per semester.
Two (2) – $5,000 scholarships distributed upon completion of a qualifying Lineman’s College.
Deadline is Tuesday, February 11, 2020 by 5:00 p.m. Please note this is the date they should be received in-hand, not postmarked.
- Available to any graduating senior who is also a dependent of an active Nueces Electric Cooperative, Inc. member. The member must have received electric service from NEC for a minimum of six months as of the date the scholarship application is due.
- Scholarship to be granted to attend a recognized Texas instruction of higher education.
- Applicant must be of good character as evidenced by one (1) letter of recommendation from a representative of the high school the applicant is currently attending or from employers/ supervisors.
- Applicant must demonstrate a coherent degree plan and willingness to pursue a course of higher learning.
- Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of funds available and the applicants’ eligibility.
- Applications must be received by Tuesday, February 11, 2020 by 5:00 p.m. Awards will be announced within ninety (90) days of this date.
- Recipient must maintain at least a 2.50 cumulative grade point average for the two-year and four-year scholarships and at least a 2.00 cumulative grade point average for the lineman's scholarship on a 4.00 scale and carry a minimum of 12 hours or be considered by the registrar of the institution to be a full-time student (e.g. vocational schools). Failure to meet the above requirements will result in the termination of the scholarship.
- Recipient must provide a copy of his/her grades at the end of each school semester to Nueces Electric Cooperative, Inc. Education Fund Committee before monies can be released for the subsequent semester.
- If awarded a scholarship, guardian must remain a member of NEC for the duration of the scholarship period or the student forfeits the remaining scholarship monies.
Download the applications here and submit with all required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org OR Nueces Electric Cooperative Attn: Communications 14353 Cooperative Ave, Robstown, TX 78380
Click for 2-Year Scholarship Application
Click for 4-Year Scholarship Application
Click for Lineman's College Scholarship Application
Contact: Kirklan Hinojosa, Corporate Communications & Regulatory Affairs Specliast, Scholarship@nueceselectric.org.